If your furnace ignitor suddenly begins to fail and does not turn on or off, it could be a sign of something more serious. This is especially the case if the malfunction is due to a short-circuit. If your furnace does not have an electrical outlet close by, check to see if you can get a power cord from your local electrical company. If you cannot, look around in your garage for a power outlet, and use it if necessary.
You should never put anything on your furnace that can cause a low blow or short. The sparks from a lit fuse can result in a fire that is very dangerous. You should also never place anything in your furnace that will catch fire. Some people believe that placing paper in the fireplace is safe, but the fact is that some paper products are flammable and could potentially be ignited in the fire. It is much safer to use plastic or cardboard instead. Some companies even recommend that you never put anything in your furnace.
Sometimes a short circuit can occur when your furnace is operating in a room with a fireplace. If you are using an electrical fireplace, you may have noticed that the fireplace has been switched off. If you have a ventless fireplace, the flame may continue to burn even if there is no electricity available. This means that there will be very hot flames and sparks in the room. If this occurs, you need to get rid of the flames immediately.